6/24/09

I guess I was wrong. U-S-A!!!

So of course after I ridiculed the US for some uninspired performances and wrote them off for the rest of the Confederations Cup, the impossible happened and they somehow progressed into the semi-finals against Spain. I didn't even DVR the game against Egypt because I assumed they were just going to mail-in another match and it wouldn't be worth my time. You would imagine then my surprise on Sunday night when I found out how dominant they were against Egypt. So I took my foot out of my mouth and set the DVR for Wednesday's game against Spain, who just happen to be the #1 ranked team in the world, who haven't lost in 35 matches, and who have won a world-record 15 straight matches. Oh boy. The US has no chance against them, right?

WRONG. The US came out guns-blazing in the first half, with both Charlie Davies and Clint Dempsey having great chances to score. Then in the 27th minute, Jozy Altidore used his strength to shake a Spain defender off of him like a rag doll, turn and score. 1-0 USA! Could they actually win this game? Well, before the US had a chance to think about the answer to that question, Spain unleashed a fury of attacks that put the US defense on their heels. It's unbelievable to watch how quickly Spain can get the ball into the box and create chances because of how incredibly skilled their players are. Nevertheless, the Americans were able to take their 1-0 lead into the halftime locker room after Tim Howard made a great kick save on a Fernando Torres shot.

The second half started with Clint Dempsey getting cleated in the face, along with the usual offensive onslaught by the Spanish. Wave after wave of attacks came at the US, and all were turned away by Tim Howard, who was doing his best Henrik Lundqvist impression, and the defense. The US defenders were throwing their bodies all over the field, blocking shots left and right and frustrating Spain. Then in the 74th minute, completely against the run of play, Dempsey took advantage of some lackluster defense by Sergio Ramos and scored the US' second goal, which was set up by a nice play by Benny Feilhaber and a pass from Landon Donovan that was lucky to get through. At this point you sensed that the US was going to win. There was no way they were going to give up this lead after working so hard on defense to get to this point.

The lead ultimately held, and the US recorded a historic win against the #1 team in the world. The only blemish on the match for the US was a completely ridiculous red card given to Michael Bradley in the 87th minute, most likely because the ref thought it was a rule that the US has to finish every match in this tournament with 10 men. Bradley will be sorely missed in the final, so it'll be up to his likely replacement, Benny Feilhaber, to produce a good performance against the winner of the Brazil - South Africa match.

But despite the Bradley red card - HOLY CRAP WE JUST BEAT SPAIN!!! AND IT WAS IN SOCCER!!!!! Now we will be treated to another game where we have to listen to those ridiculously annoying and stupid horns the South African fans blow throughout the entire game that make me want to gouge my ear drums out of my head, as well as more insightful analysis from color commentator John Harkes, who makes such thoughtful points as, "You need energy to win in soccer," and my personal favorite, "Spain is a good team." Really John, they are? I had no idea. Where is Ty Keough when you need him? Here's another obvious one for you John - WE'RE GOIN' TO THE SHIP!

3 comments:

  1. I sadly did not set my dvr for this game because I didn't think we would have a chance....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Harksie's an insightful one.

    ReplyDelete