10/15/09

Reasons Why This is the Awesomest Time of the Year

As you all can see from the way the weather is turning outside, fall is here! And with that, I enter my glory zone. Fall is, far and away, the greatest time of the year. There is no comparison. Winter? Too cold, and it's a bitch digging your car out of the snow and then driving in it, especially when your car is a Ford Focus and a light breeze pushes it into the next lane. Spring? Sure the weather may be nice, but spring used to be a sign that summer vacation was close and school was almost out. Now I work for a living, and there is no summer vacation for work, so spring is just a sign that I'll be working through the summer. Again. For the next 50 to 60 years of my life. Summer? Too hot. So that leaves fall, the most awesome time of the year. Here's why:

MLB Playoffs and the World Series
You know it's fall when that familiar buzz is ringing around Yankee Stadium, because the playoffs are here! The playoffs, in any sport, are some of the most intense theater you will ever experience, and baseball is no different. Take last Friday night for example: Yankees down 2, bottom 9, Twins closer Joe Nathan, one of the best closers in the game, is in to close it out. BOOM. A-Rod hits a dramatic 2-run homer to tie it. Then David Robertson pitches his way out of a no-out, bases loaded jam in the top of the 11th, only for Big Tex to homer in the bottom of the 11th to win it. Can't match the drama of the playoffs, and the playoffs are in the fall.

The NFL is in full-swing
One of my favorite pastimes is sitting in front of the TV every Sunday (or Monday) and scaring the crap out of my friends while I curse out the Giants, all while buffalo wing sauce is smeared all over my mouth and the fridge is stocked with beer. Can't beat it! And now that the NFL is in full-swing, it's every week. I am in heaven. That is, of course, unless the Giants lose to the Saints this weekend, then I will have a decidedly different feeling about life.

Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks
HA HA just kidding! Coffee sucks, and only chicks drink that froofy crap. And Rick (last name deleted).

The NHL is back
Hockey is one of the great sports to watch, especially live. There really is nothing like when Madison Square Garden is rocking and the Rangers are kicking ass, which so far is the case this year. John Tortorella has them playing a style that is really fun to watch, plus now they finally have a guy in Marian Gaborik who can score from anywhere on the ice, whenever he wants. It's not something we've had in a really long time. He is truly a Godsend.



The NBA is back
Again, just kidding. Nobody gives a shit about the NBA anymore. Go Knicks!

Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is, hands down, the greatest holiday of them all. There is no argument, and let me tell you why. The very spirit and essence of a holiday is to celebrate the given occasion with family and friends. It's a day to relax; a day to enjoy each other's company. This obviously takes place on other holidays, but they all have added pressures. Christmas? You have to buy everyone and their mother a gift, or else you will be shunned at the family get-togethers. Halloween? You have to put time and thought into putting together a good costume, or else all of your friends will make fun or you. And if you don't have a costume and stay in, you are lame. New Years? You can't just relax. There always has to be some massive party that results in your buddy Jim getting caught by the cops snorting coke off of a hooker's chest in an alley, and you feeling like garbage the next morning because you drank too much, blacked out, and forgot to bail Jim out of jail. Plus, if you don't have a girl to kiss at midnight, you look like a loser. MLK, Jr. Day? Have to work. President's Day? Work. Columbus Day? Work. Easter/Passover? Church/Temple. Memorial Day? Parades. Thanksgiving, on the other hand, is solely about family, food, and good times. No gifts. No stress. Just gorging your face off on food. The only other holidays that approach Thanksgiving in awesomeness is Independence Day and St. Patrick's Day, but Thanksgiving gets the leg up due to one important factor: FOOTBALL. Boom. No argument. Thanksgiving is the best.



Hooker Boots
Girls in skirts (remember ladies, the shorter the better) is a year-round thing. Don't let people tell you that the spring is awesome because thats when the chicks break out the skirts, because they wear them in every season. The key difference with the fall, however, is that they add the hooker boots to the ensemble. Slays me.

Octoberfest
The festival of awesomeness that occurs every fall in Germany is copied in many places here in America, and it is always excellent. I can't think of a better way to spend my day then to be in a Biergarten-type establishment that has 800 beers on tap, Oompa bands rockin' out, schnitzels and wursts on the grill being served by chesty broads in lederhosen, and a bunch of your closest friends hanging out, getting drunk. Not to mention all of the Octoberfest-specific beers that come out during the season are delicious. I LOVE IT.

Pumpkin-everything
Fall is the season where every purveyor of food and beverage makes their product in pumpkin flavors. Pumpkin coffee doesn't count because, as I said above, it sucks. But pumpkin donuts? Pumpkin beer? Pumpkin pie? Pumpkin cookies? Pumpkin muffins? All the other pumpkin food and drink I can't think of at the moment? I'm moist.

I just got a PS3
Yes, I could have bought this during any other season of the year, but I bought it during the fall, so dammit, it's another reason why the fall is awesome! I had played it at friend's places before, but it's still tough to get over how good the graphics are on this thing. NHL 10 is awesome, you should buy it. Madden 10 will take a bit of getting used to since I'm used to PS2 Maddens, but it sure as hell looks incredible. And NCAA Football 10 is ridiculously good. I can't get enough of it now, much to the chagrin of my neglected girlfriend.



The Weather
This is the first and foremost reason as to why the fall is the best time of the year. I love the weather. Can't get enough of it. When it's sunny, 50s or 60s, with a light chill in the air, I am in heaven. I get to put on the world's finest piece of clothing, the hoodie, head out to my balcony and sip a pumpkin beer as the sun sets behind me and casts an orange glow on the city. Also consider the incredible fall foliage that's springing up across the country. Best weather of the entire year.

And there you have it. The main reasons as to why this is the awesomest time of the year. I find it hard to believe anyone can make a compelling argument against this, but you're welcome to try. Also, if I forgot any reasons as to why fall is awesome, please let me know. Enjoy the fall!

5 comments:

  1. 1. Pumpkin spice frappuccino is beyond awesome, and I may be a girl proving your point, but I do not drink coffee only the delicious frappuccinos at Starbucks so that should mean something.
    2. I am not going to argue Thanksgiving is an amazing holiday but Christmas is just as awesome. You shouldn't feel stressed by me and the other Gallen's to deliver the gifts, just remember if you get cheap this year we will be cheap next year that's all.
    3. I agree the weather and fall foliage is great, but you forgot to mention the fall foliage in Ithaca which you used to enjoy and now I do : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and 4. Glad your computer is fixed, I missed your long blogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. you drink pumpkin beer, yet you frown upon the pumpkin spice latte. interesting steve, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the weather sucks today steve.

    fall weather sucks.

    ReplyDelete