10/26/09

Monday Morning Brain Fart - 10/26 Afternoon Edition

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later - a Brain Fart following another Brain Fart, i.e. a week where I didn't write shit. Not only did I not write shit, but I didn't write anything at all. With my computer teetering on the brink of life or death, it's tough to get her to have enough energy to sit with me while I type, so instead I let her rest. She's doing ok now, all things considered.

With that said, here are a few of my thoughts from an emotionally draining Sunday that will quickly turn into an apocalyptic week at my apartment:

Due to Saturday night's cancellation of Game 6 of the ALCS, the Yankees and Giants were playing at the same time on Sunday night. This posed a problem, of course. Simply jumping between the two games wouldn't work, as you're bound to miss something while watching the other. So the solution was simple: watch both at the same time while in the same place. And this is how we did it:



Two 50-inch plasma screens, each with it's own DirecTV receiver, with the main screen on the left having audio. The jump button on both screens was set to the other game, so when, say, the Yankees went to commercial on the main screen, we merely aimed in-between the two receivers and hit jump. They both read the same remote, so the games would essentially flip-flop TVs, so then the Giants had the audio. It was masterful.

As for the actual games, it was fitting that the Yankees closed out their 40th pennant at the new Yankee Stadium with Andy Pettitte (the winningest pitcher in post-season history) winning it and Mariano Rivera (the best closer the game has ever seen) closing it. Joe Girardi still managed to drive us crazy with his over-managing, but you have to give him credit for taking this team to the World Series - not an easy thing to do. Now here comes the defending World Series Champions, the Phillies. My girlfriend = Phillies fan. Strike one.

Now as far as the Giants go, last night was their second straight poor performance, though this one was not nearly as pathetic as last week's effort against New Orleans. I thought the defense actually played pretty well since Bill Sheridan finally remembered that blitzing was a good idea, but since our offense kept turning the ball over to Arizona or punting it to midfield, it was only a matter of time before they put points on the board given their incredible field position. Eli reverted back to his old ways of forcing the ball into double and triple teams, and Kevin Gilbride called a miserable game, sticking with the pass even though Eli was obviously struggling while Brandon Jacobs was running really well. RUN THE BALL KEVIN, IT'S NOT HARD. I feel we're being exposed as nothing more than a mediocre team, and I don't feel as good about them as I did a few weeks ago. Next week - the Eagles, who we always struggle against. My girlfriend = Eagles fan. Strike two.

Strike three of course will be if both the Phillies and Eagles have success this week against the Yankees and Giants, respectively. Please do me a favor and kill me now if you can see into the future and know the Yanks and Giants are going to lose so I don't have to suffer at the hands of obnoxious Philthadelphia fans. Here comes the apocalypse!

Until next time: Ugh. Another week of work. Though at least Monday is just about over!

3 comments:

  1. Go Phillies! Umm the Giants can win I guess even if they are douche bags for not acknowledging they are from New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe you date a Philly fan. You must feel so inadequate.

    ReplyDelete